This morning I decided to make some stuffed French toast. Last time I made it I wasn't the happiest with how it came out, so I took some notes and redid my recipe.
Just a note: I eyeballed the amounts, so you may want to adjust according to your taste
|All of us enjoyed it!|
Stuffed French Toast with Strawberry-Orange Syrup
12 ounces strawberry preserves
1/2 cup orange juice
1 loaf Italian bread
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 TB brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp nutmeg
- Heat the strawberry preserves and orange juice until boiling, then reduce to simmer until the syrup is the consistency you prefer. I let mine cook while I worked on the rest of the meal, and it turned out to be just right when everything was finished.
- Cut the Italian loaf into wide pieces, about 2 inches thick. Cut a slit in the top that goes 3/4 of the way through the bread.
- Mix together cream cheese, sugars, and vanilla. Stuff into the bread. I had some left over.
- Mix together eggs, whipping cream, vanilla, and nutmeg.
- At this point I cooked some bacon, poured out the fat, and get ready to cook the French toast
- Dip the bread into the egg mixture and cook- about 2 minutes on each side.
- To serve I spooned a little extra filling on the top and poured the syrup over it. You could add a little powdered sugar on the top if you like, but we were hungry!
|I forgot to take a picture before we started eating. Delicious!|