It happened to be a homeschool day, so when we showed up we were given a packet for each kid to use as we walked through the museum.
I learned a ton about the man Milton Hershey as well as what his legacy left behind. Not only did he fail a bunch of times and not give up, he inspired the town to continue to grow as a community. Derry Church PA, now Hershey PA, is more than just the "sweetest town on earth." Hershey is home to an amusement park, a start of the art hospital, a theater, and a community set of bringing the best to the people. I love the feel of the town and after learning about Milton, I am starting to understand why Hershey, PA is the way it is.
What we liked:
- We got free chocolate in the Chocolate Lab and customized it with either white or dark chips.
- Going at our own pace and seeing all the old time items on display
- Learning about Derry Church (now renamed Hershey, PA!)
- Trying to push a SUPER heavy bathtub on wheels (it is how the workers got product around the factory)
What we didn't like:
- The museum isn't very big. It is basically one floor plus the chocolate lab where you get to make a chocolate bar.
- My 8YO son wasn't a fan of the packet, so I let him not write anything down. I pick my battles.
Will we do it again?
We might. There isn't a whole lot to do, but I can imagine in a few years going again so that the babies can have fun with it. Homeschool day wasn't too much of a zoo so I wouldn't even have a problem doing homeschool day again in the future.