Saturday, April 30, 2011

Crayon Experiment

We have so many crayons, and many of them are broken.  To use up the crayons, I decided to try out an experiment with Sebastian.  We unwrapped the crayons and piled them by color in aluminum muffin tins.  I then put them in the oven to melt.  Here is what came out.

 The darker colors fell to the bottom of the cups, so the colors are not even throughout the crayon muffin. Also, for some reason I decided to melt the crayons at 400 degrees.  It caused the wax to boil.  It is not necessary for the oven to be that high.  I'll remember that for the next time.

They are also a bit large to handle.  If I do this again I would use a mini-muffin pan.  Matt suggested making a crayon shape out of aluminum foil and filing them that way.  I would have to do some experiment to get that to work.



 We had a blast making these crayon muffins and we had even more fun creating pictures using the different sides of the crayons.
Post a Comment